STTEP provides 5 weeks of classroom instruction in which the participants receive certifications in: First Aid/CPR, WHMIS, Smart Serve, Food Handlers Certification and Service Excellence. The participants also learn how to job search, build effective resumes and cover letters and learn tips on improving their interview skills. The participants have regular health and fitness sessions at the YMCA to encourage healthy lifestyles.
The second portion of both of the STTEP programs is an employment placement where the youth work with local employers for 35 hours/week over a 10 week period.
For the participant, contact provides:
• Free workshops and certifications
• Knowledgeable staff to assist in developing training plans
• On the job support to participants
• Job maintenance training
For the employer, contact provides:
• Pre-screening and interviewing of potential employees
• Reduces the expense of advertising available positions
• Reduces training costs by providing fully subsidized work placements